Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore SIZE_DATA_BUFFER in mixed OS Environment

2004-09-29 22:11:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore SIZE_DATA_BUFFER in mixed OS Environment
From: sjacobso AT novell DOT com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:11:40 -0600
NetBackup Buffer Gurus!

(My particular situation applies exclusively within a 5.1 Enterprise
environment).

I have a rather urgent need to validate the below scenario from
previous NBU comments I've seen in the past.

Scenario - Disaster Recovery:

The Master (W2K SP4) is restored, however, the media servers that wrote
the data are a Linux OS using SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS" of 256K (262144).
Instead rebuilding "Xteen" number of media servers, I'd prefer to just
rebuild the master server and migrate the data volumes to the master and
restore from the master.

I'm not certain if those previous NBU suggestions did or didn't work,
which I believe went like:

Create a "touch" file(s) for either "RESTORE_SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS" and
"RESTORE_NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS" files that would allow or will force the
restore behavior of data originally backed up by, again, in this case, a
Linux media server OS configuration to that of being restored by a W2K
type OS configuration.

At present, Veritas can't even validate that a
"RESTORE_anynumber_or_size_BUFFERS" touch file option EVEN EXISTS !!
Ahhh !!

Can anyone validate that they've done this or can tell me that it a
"go" or "no go" situation?

Thank you very much, again - a great forum.

Scott J.