Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] I hate linux: Oracle 64-bit on RH-ES-3.0 vs the libobk.so media m anagement library

2004-09-23 13:51:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] I hate linux: Oracle 64-bit on RH-ES-3.0 vs the libobk.so media m anagement library
From: Doug.Braden AT veritas DOT com (Doug Braden)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:51:45 -0500
Mark,

Please review the text below.  It is from a technote in a pending
publish state.

I'll follow this thread to see if the info helps or not and if needed
I'll provide feedback to the author.

Regards,

Doug Braden
VERITAS Impact Team

The ORA-27211 error indicates that the channel allocation is failing
because Oracle is not loading the media management library. If the
channel allocation fails, then Oracle generates a trace file in the
USER_DUMP_DEST location that contains the error that caused the channel
allocation to fail. The trace file should have the complete path name of
the media management library loaded by Oracle as well as any other media
manager errors or operating system errors. For example, the trace file
on UNIX may be called something like
/oracle/rdbms/log/prod1_ora_16226.trc, and may contain information such
as the following:

*** 2001-08-29 17:16:54.385

SKGFQ OSD: Error in function sbtinit on line 2396

SKGFQ OSD: Look for SBT Trace messages in file
/oracle/rdbms/log/sbtio.log

SBT Initialize failed for oracle.static

The last line of this output indicates that Oracle is loading the
default static library instead of the media management library that you
installed.

To test the loading of the media management library, try allocating a
channel by using the PARMS parameter SBT_LIBRARY to force the loading of
the media management library.

For example, if the library is called
/usr/openv/netbackup/lib/some_mm_lib.so and is pointed to
by$ORACLE_HOME/lib/libobk.so, then run a command such as the following,
making sure to specify whatever PARMS settings are required by  media
manager:

RUN

{

ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE sbt

PARMS='SBT_LIBRARY=?/lib/libobk.so',

'ENV=(NSR_SERVER=tape_svr,NSR_CLIENT=oracleclnt,NSR_GROUP=oracle_tapes)'
;

}

If the channel allocation fails, then check the trace file again to see
whether you can learn anything new. If the channel allocation with
SBT_LIBRARY succeeds, but an ordinary SBT channel allocation fails, then
Oracle is probably trying to load a library ($ORACLE_HOME/lib/libobk.so
on UNIX, %ORACLE_HOME%/bin/orasbt.dll on NT) other than the one you
installed. You may have more than one library in the operating system
path, and the one that Oracle is loading is the wrong one.