Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 5.1 disk caching

2004-09-21 15:48:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 5.1 disk caching
From: Vincent_Mase AT harvardpilgrim DOT org (Vincent_Mase AT harvardpilgrim DOT org)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:48:08 -0400
Upgrading to NBU 5.1 on Windows 2000 and plan to implement disk caching storage
units utilizing EMC
CX600 and CX700 ATA storage.  I have been advised by Veritas that I should
configure the ATA storage
using diskpar, a windows 2000 resource kit utility, to configure the LUN
partitions to begin on byte
boundaries that are divisible by 64 KB.  There is a white paper by EMC that
describes this process
and the benefits  in detail
http://www.emc.com/pdf/techlib/H959_clariion_bu_stor_ms_exch_snapview_ldv.pdf.
(see page 18)  I
have configured my ATA LUNS  according to the EMC recommendations and find that
I cannot upgrade the
LUNS to dynamic disks.  I would like to use dynamic disks so I could span
volumes and create larger
ATA disk storage units.   Has anyone else run into this issue?  Also looking
for feedback on NBU5.1
and any issues w/ backup to disk and the disk caching units in general.

Vincent Mase
Perot Systems
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Account
617 509 3355