Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup Reporting Software

2004-09-20 12:33:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Reporting Software
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:33:34 -0500
On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 12:10:18PM -0400, Hall, Christian N. wrote:
> How large is your environment? Was Bocada not scalable to what you needed ?

We've got a single Solaris master/media, a Windows media server, and
another Solaris media server.  We've got around 110 clients so far
backing up to an L700 robot with 8 SDLT220 drives.  We do from 800-1000
jobs per day.  Typical backup volume size is 2-4TB per day.  This
probably isn't large for some people here but huge compared to others.

BackupReport was very, very slow in part because of the way it polls
from the master server on a regular basis to get updates.  The
StorageConsole server gets its updates as each backup job completes. I
had factored in the delays introduced by the slow SQL server we used for
our eval and still determined that we could not acceptable response for
the

One of the other driving differences was Bocada's requirement to install
a fat client whereas StorageConsole uses a browser interface.  With
Bocada tech support on the phone helping me, it took about 3-4 hours to
install the client on my desktop (a fairly standard Win2K system) and
required multiple reboots.  I couldn't imagine trying to roll this out
to all the users who need access to the data.  I don't even know if
non-Windows clients are available - some of our admins use HPUX and
Solaris as their primary desktops.  Overall, the Bocada product worked
(barely) and did have a few nice features (since added to
StorageConsole) but there were enough downsides that we likely wouldn't
have purchased it even if StorageConsole wouldn't have whupped its butt.

        .../Ed