Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore question

2004-09-10 12:59:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore question
From: cpo AT helix.nih DOT gov (Charlene Osborn)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:59:30 -0400
Due to a hardware failure of the worst kind, we lost
both our root disk and our mirrored root disk on a fairly
critical Sun machine this week. Thus forcing me to do what
no backup admin really wants to do - installed two new
disks and then installed enough Solaris, network information
and NetBackup to allow me to restore from backups. All in
all it worked, but with one snag I'd like to avoid 'next time'.

I mounted the second disk that I was planning on restoring '/'
to as /mnt, with plans to later make this the boot disk. When
doing the restore I selected to 'restore to a different place'
option. The question was whether or not to rename hard and soft
links. Solaris makes use of hard links and we have many, many soft
links. For the most part we use relative path names so it's not
a problem, but the absolute path names are. If I don't rename
we end up with links to '/mnt/.....'. If I do rename paths I get
both complaints about files that don't exist (when trying to
link to my minimal /) or complaints about trying to link
across devices (for the hard links).

I ended up going with the renaming links option and then using
a 'find' to fix the links with absolute paths. My question (yes,
there is one somewhere in here!) is there a better way to do
this? How do most people handle links when they are doing
restores? I know that Veritas has a product specifically for
disaster recovery but it's not available for SGIs
(our even more critical systems) so we haven't pursued it.

Thanks in advance,

Charlene Osborn
Helix Systems
CIT, NIH