Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] multistreaming directory and sub-directories without backing up data twice on sub-directories?

2004-08-30 15:10:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] multistreaming directory and sub-directories without backing up data twice on sub-directories?
From: Danny.Baldonado AT lucasfilm DOT com (Danny Baldonado)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:10:30 -0700
I'm trying to backup a directory and we are currently using multistreaming
("Allow Multiple Data Streams").  We use the "Auto-discover Streaming Mode"
feature since we use wildcards on our file list which currently consists of:
/dir/*

This creates a new stream for every file and sub-directory under "/dir" and
this works for us since this data is located on very fast SAN disk and we limit
the number of jobs per policy.

We have a couple of sub-directories that we would like to multistream even
further since they contain the majority of the data.  Something along the lines
of:
/dir/subdir/*

The question is how do we keep the administration simple, but at the same time
not duplicate the data being backed up.  The sub-directories can vary in name
and can be added or removed by our developers at any time, but they will always
end in "data" in the sub-directory name.  I've tried this file listing
configuration:
/dir/*
/dir/*data/*

but the "data" sub-directories are being backed up twice.

Any ideas on how to do this with a single policy?

Is the answer to use 2 policies and have an exclude list on the first to
exclude the specific sub-directories?

peace,
dannyB
Daniel Baldonado