Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] scheduling question

2004-08-26 13:51:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] scheduling question
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:51:10 -0500
--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

* Edelson, Tracie <tracie.edelson AT attws DOT com> [2004-08-26 10:28]:
> Currently, our Oracle database backup schedules are being "managed" by
> the database administrators. We provide one schedule that calls their
> "wrapper" script -- this script determines, based on the day of the
> week, if a full, diff or cumulative to run. It is very basic and does
> not account for failed backups - if a full fails to run, it will not run
> until the next scheduled day.
> =20
> We are investigating NetBackup's ability to tie in directly with the
> rman utility to run and schedule backups -- so, if a full fails to run
> on Monday, it will automatically be rerun the next window (probably the
> next day). However, with frequency based backups, this will of course
> effectively move the full backup day from Monday to Tuesday until the
> next failure moves it again. This is not the behavior the DBA's want --
> they want it to run on Sundays except in the case of a failure in which
> case it should rerun at the next window -- but then would run on Sundays
> again after the failed backup completes.
> =20
> Other than running the job manually after a failure, doe anyone have any
> suggestions?

Use the frequency settings to your advantage. This depends on what you
mean by the "next window". You can set up your full to have a frequency
of 2 days with a window open on Sunday and Monday. What this does is it
will try to run the full on Sunday, if successful, it will not run on
Monday because you are still under the 2 day frequency. If it did NOT
run successfully on Sunday, then it will try again on Monday. Because
the frequency is only 2 days, it will be available to run again the
following Sunday wether it backed up on Sunday or Monday the previous
week.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com