Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Large Oracle/SAP Database and Netbackup

2004-08-11 14:24:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Large Oracle/SAP Database and Netbackup
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:24:10 -0600
We did the RMAN thing on our 20TB Oracle DB at my last job.  Solaris, NB
4.5, L700 w. LTO-1.

There were lots of problems when we went to do our weekly fulls.  Last I
heard, my replacement is/was working a ticket through VOSS support.  Turns
out that there was a core assumption in Netbackup that the whole DB could be
backed up in 24 hours.  The problem manifested when the RMAN & Netbackup
catalogs were sync'd - they wouldn't sync right & tracking info would be
lost.  Sorry - since I left I'm a big short on details.

We did weekly full backups & daily incrementals via RMAN.  We had to
implement restart code in the RMAN script because the smallest fault in
backups, and easy to get a fault over 20 TB of data transfer, would kill the
whol backup.

We used the RMAN keyword "NOT BACKED UP SINCE '<date>'" to implement a
sort-of point-in-time restart of a failed RMAN backup.

Store the start time of the backup script in a variable, capture the RMAN
return code and loop a restart using the "NOT BACKED UP SINCE" command if
it's non-zero.  Implement a counter so you don't loop forever in the event
of a persistent error state.  It combats the tape errors, network hiccups,
etc. pretty well, though.

HTH - M