Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SUMMARY - Inline tape copy: what if there are no enough drives?

2004-08-09 12:37:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SUMMARY - Inline tape copy: what if there are no enough drives?
From: rfang AT coke.umuc DOT edu (Rongsheng Fang)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:37:57 -0400
Thanks to those who replied: Chris, Mark and dejessen.

To find what will happen with one drive for two ITC copies, I did a test:

1) I created a new policy Inline_Test to backup a directory and setup
ITC to make two copies during the backup time.

2) I brought down all the drives except leaving one up using vmoprcmd.

3) Fired up a manual backup of Inline_Test.

The test shows that: Netbackup queued all the jobs (actually 3 in this
case: one parent, and another two for two copies) when it could not find
enough drives for ITC. Then I brought up another drive after I waited
for 20 minutes. A few seconds right after that, all the jobs changed
from "Queued" to "Active" and the backup succeeded.

Rongsheng