Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] question about backing up NTUSER.DAT

2004-07-30 15:05:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] question about backing up NTUSER.DAT
From: Glenn.Summers AT thehartford DOT com (Summers, Glenn)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:05:01 -0400
I know that NTUSER.DAT contains the both the default user profile and the
profile of the user that is currently logged in.

NetBackup sporadically skips this file, about once a week, while backing up
one particular server. This only happens when logged on as a local user
account, during a narrow window when a particular service is being shut
down. This service shutdown occurs nightly but the file is only skipped
perhaps once a week, usually on the same day of the week.

It seems to me that not backing up this file once a week should not present
a problem as user profiles don't change drastically from day to day.
Naturally , if it were not backed up regularly over a long period of time, I
can imagine that some important profile changes could be lost, but not just
by missing it once a week.

Am I right here?

Naturally, I'm still working on getting a long-term solution to getting this
file backed up permanently. Still, this would help me to get some ideas on
how to proceed.

Thanks,
Glenn

immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all
copies.