Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 84 errors

2004-07-28 09:53:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 84 errors
From: Glenn.Summers AT thehartford DOT com (Summers, Glenn)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:53:20 -0400
                                Thanks, Mike. That is certainly worth
checking out as I know we are using some very old Emulex drivers.

                                OTOH, our exact error messages are different
from the one listed in the support doc:

                                Our error messages are:

                                7/26/2004 8:55:51 PM - Error bptm(pid=7260)
cannot write image to media id A30597, drive index 3, Data error (cyclic
redundancy check).
                                7/26/2004 8:55:53 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=7256)
from client plhcsgfwln1: ERR - bpbkar exiting because backup is aborting
                                7/26/2004 8:55:55 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=7256)
could not send server status message
                                7/26/2004 8:55:57 PM - end writing; write
time: 01:15:05
                                media write error(84)
                                7/26/2004 8:55:57 PM - Error
bpsched(pid=2616) backup of client plhcsgfwln1 exited with status 84 (media
write error)

                                and occasionally:

                                7/28/2004 12:21:08 AM - Error bptm(pid=2924)
ioctl (MTWEOF) failed on media id A31261, drive index 3, The semaphore
timeout period has expired. (121) (.\bptm.c.6754)
                                media write error(84)
                                7/28/2004 12:21:11 AM - Error
bpsched(pid=2732) backup of client plhcsgfwsqldb1 exited with status 84
(media write error)

                                These errors come on different media
servers, different tapes, different clients and often run successfully after
several attempts. Occasionally they fail altogether. They are very hard to
narrow down, and very hard on anyone taking call that week since we get at
least a few of these a night.

                                Thanks again,
                                Glenn

        Mike Kelczewski <KELCZ AT coj DOT net>