Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN Media and NDMP ( Comparing Legato vs Veritas )

2004-07-09 10:20:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN Media and NDMP ( Comparing Legato vs Veritas )
From: rahulparasnis AT msn DOT com (Rahul Parasnis)
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:20:10 +0900
Please do give your feed back about this . You opnion is very much
appreciated .

1.
When you are using NDMP along with SAN Media servers , do you have to
allocate some drives for NDMP and for rest of the drives you should take
drive sharing license  ?

I s it technical limitation or recommendation ?  In case of networker it is
technically possible but not recommended .

For restoring NDMP data do you need another NAS device ?
Can you restore NAS data backup using NDMP to another non NAS device ?

Again Legato and Veritas has same limitation , is it NDMP protocol
limitation ?

That oo I learnt that , you can restore NDMP data taken from EMC NAS to EMC
nas only , sameway you can restore from Netapps to netapps NAS only .

Is there any workaround ?
Ofcourse you can mount NAS shares from another windows server and do the
backup but it seems you can retain same ACLs on files .

2.
Does Veritas has no. of stream limitation like Legato has 32 for network
Edition and 64 for power edition ?

3.
When you are using Twining feature in Veritas , if one the drives has
problem then backup fails or does it continue with one drive and later you
can do incremental backup on another tape once Drive is back to normal  ? (
Does the load of doing backuo on both drives is taken by Server or Client ?
)

Veritas has checkpoint level backup while cloning the tape but does it do
the same checkpoint level backup while doing backup of client  ?
While in Legato Cloning is done by server when backuo is finished . and it
has ability to restart the backup if it fails at the saveset level .

4. As far licensing goes . ( Please correct me if I am wrong )

Veritas license depends on no of drive but does no care about no of slots
while legato depends on Slots   and does not care about drives .

Client license depends on tier level of the client Hardware ( For windows
depends on no of cpus while for Unix depends on Tier level ) While legato
does not care about tier os CPU level of client .
but does care if client is cluster client or not .

NDMP license does not depend on tier of NDMP in Veritas but does depend in
Legato .

to backup from Unix or windows client you just need Client license , while
legato it is true but you need Unix client pak to backup Unix and Windows
client pak to backup Windows client .

Veritas provides open file license unlimited with Enterprise license , while
legato you need yo buy it .

5. Speed of the backup

As far speed of the backup goes , Legato benchmarks show 10 TB/ hr while
Veritas is only 2.5 Tera hour . ( May these readings are outdated )

6.
Administration GUI is much friendly in Veritas while Legato it is not so
user friendly .

regards,
- Rahul