Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Cleaining Tapes LTO's-2

2004-07-09 15:06:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Cleaining Tapes LTO's-2
From: Russell.X.Brown.-ND AT disney DOT com (Brown, Russell X -ND)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:06:09 -0700
I've got direct-fibre IBM LTO-2s and I can confirm that they definitely
will require cleaning at some point.  A good indicator would be when the
big red C lights up on the front of the tape drive :)  Seriously though,
they don't require cleaning very often.

One thing I've come across lately is a few LTO-2 drives which had really
poor performance (about 2-3 MB/s) and would require cleaning on a daily
basis.  The daily cleaning requirement was the first warning sign that
the drive had gone bad.  IBM replaced the drives.

Russell