Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN Media Servers writing to the same tape

2004-07-01 09:09:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN Media Servers writing to the same tape
From: dritschel62 AT yahoo DOT com (Douglas Ritschel)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 06:09:21 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks that's what I thought. I also verified it in
the "VERITAS NetBackup? 5.0 Shared Storage Option for
UNIX and Windows SAG".

"SSO Restrictions and Limitations" section.

"NetBackup does not share media between media servers
for shared (or non-shared)drives. When media is first
used in a backup, NetBackup notes the media server (or
SAN media server) where the media is written and does
not allow the media to be
used by other servers."

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About SSO Section

"I assume that once a server picks a tape drive and
writes media, that media can only be written to again
by that server. With existing NetBackup media servers
today, a tape ?belongs? to a media server until it
expires or is deleted. Is this right?

Yes. Assigned media is still dedicated to a single
server (see ?SSO Restrictions and  Limitations? on
page 33)."