Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tricks to spread backups "widely" across clients

2004-06-29 15:13:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tricks to spread backups "widely" across clients
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:13:39 -0600
I'd like to create a backup policy with a dozen or so clients in it.  I'd
like, also, to use the "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" keyword as the backup include list
& enable multiple streams.

Netbackup has a habit of scheduling jobs where backs-up one client's
filesystems before moving onto the next client, eg:

client1: fs1
client1: fs2
client1: fs3
client2: fs1
client2: fs2
client2: fs3
client3: fs1
....etc...

If I set the global jobs per client to, say, "1", then I'd get:

client1: fs1
client2: fs1
client3: fs1
client1: fs2
client2: fs2
...etc...

the jobs are spread "wide" across the client set rather than "vertically".

We need our jobs-per-client set large for certain DB backups but I'd still
like the "wide" behavior for these backups.  Any tricks that any of you are
using?

What I really need is an enhancement that allows "jobs per client" to be set
at a per-policy level.

-M

  There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
  those that know binary, and those that don't.
  Mark Donaldson - SA - Corporate Express