Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SDLT compatibility

2004-06-24 15:48:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SDLT compatibility
From: Keath.Marx AT anthem DOT com (Marx, Keath)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:48:49 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C45A24.44ADB9D8

I am guessing your issue will be the same as mine.  I recently replaced 2 of
the 4 LTO Gen 1 drives in my library with Gen 2 drives.  In order to keep
the older drives from trying to use the newer tapes I setup the Gen 2's as
hcart2 (gen 1's were hcart1).  This works well enough with keeping the new
tapes out of the old drives but has the side effect of keeping the older
tapes out of the new drives.  What I did was to use vmchange to switch a few
of the older tapes to hcart2.  This allows them to be used in the new
drives.  Of course it also keeps them from being used in the old drives.

It has been a fairly serious pain trying to juggle having the correct number
of tapes for each pool for each drive type.  I have had jobs fail because
the drives that were allocated did not have any media free in required
pools.  The other drives had the media free but were busy.

With 12 drives I am guessing you have a lot more than my 40 slots so it
might not be an issue for you.

_

and privileged information or otherwise protected by law.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
all copies of the original message.
------_=_NextPart_001_01C45A24.44ADB9D8

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-asci=
i">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2657.7=
3">
<TITLE>RE: [Veritas-bu] SDLT compatibility</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am gues=
sing your issue will be the same as mine.&nbsp; I recently replaced 2 of =
the 4 LTO Gen 1 drives in my library with Gen 2 drives.&nbsp; In order to=
 keep the older drives from trying to use the newer tapes I setup the Gen=
 2</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">'</FONT><FONT CO=
LOR=3D"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">s as hcart2 (gen 1</FONT><FONT CO=
LOR=3D"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">'</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" S=
IZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">s were hcart1).&nbsp; This works well enough with =
keeping the new tapes out of the old drives but has the side effect of ke=
eping the older tapes out of the new drives.&nbsp; What I did was to use =
vmchange to switch a few of the older tapes to hcart2.&nbsp; This allows =
them to be used in the new drives.&nbsp; Of course it also keeps them fro=
m being used in the old drives.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">It has be=
en a fairly serious pain trying to juggle having the correct number of ta=
pes for each pool for each drive type.&nbsp; I have had jobs fail because=
 the drives that were allocated did not have any media free in required p=
ools.&nbsp; The other drives had the media free but</FONT> <FONT COLOR=3D=
"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">were busy.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">With 12 d=
rives I am guessing you have a lot more than my 40 slots so it might not =
be an issue for you.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>_</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

<BR>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,=20
is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confiden=
tial
and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law.  Any unautho=