Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?

2004-06-18 23:40:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?
From: nelcaps AT ameritech DOT net (Nelson T. Caparroso)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:40:23 -0400
Thanks John!

Now I am finally getting understood.. sorry but I come mostly from
Legato Environment where there is a similar concept caled DDS or Dynamic
Drive Sharing -- where one server controls the sharingf and mounting of
shared drives. Going back now to the NetBackup Model:

I have currently Server A - acting as Master and at the same time my
Media Server hooked up to an 8 LTO Drive STK Library.  I have all my
other Servers (B-Z) as simple Netbackup clients backed up over the
network. Recently, we expanded our SAN so that our large servers now
also can see the LTO Library's drives. We also acquired 8 Shared Drive
licenses (aka SSO Keys).

Under a Legato Environment, when I install my DDS Keys on my Main Backup
Server (NBU's equiv to a Master/Media Server).. I need not install any
other software on the clients that  I now want to backup via DDS -- just
a simple configuration to add the client's to the DDS configuration and
we're all set.

Some years back, I played arounf with NBU 3.5 and the same mechanism
worked. I just installed the Shared Drives key on my Master/Media..
added the clients as drive hosts and presto.. I can now backup my
clients to the shared drives.

So in my current environment, do I really need to have another Media
Server configuration outisde of my existing Master/Media so I can share
drives and backup SSO-way my other clients that have access to the
drives/Library?

Ms. Carr to date is the 2nd Veritas Person saying that I need to have
media manager on each client that I will be backing up SSO -way .