Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?

2004-06-18 19:01:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?
From: nelcaps AT ameritech DOT net (Nelson T. Caparroso)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:01:40 -0400
We currently have a confusion as to how to proceed.

Currently, we have a NBU 4.5 Environment where in we have one Server
acting as Master/Media Server to several clients. Clients are currently
backed up as simple network clients but over the last couple of months -
some of the clients have reached multi-TB in disk storage capacity.  We
have 2 SDLT Libraries each with 8 drives  currently hooked up to the
Master/Media Server -- a 4 x 1 Ghz HP-UNIX Server.

Lately we've decided to go the route of dynamic drive sharing - or SSO
(Shared Storage Option) - so the large servers can be backed up locally
- data goes from disk to tape drictly on the tape drive that  is
presented locally via SAN. All of our servers "sees" and have access to
the Library drives. And this is where the confusion begins..

We want to mainatin our Master/Media server as is - and want it to
manage the sharing of drives to the clients that we want to backup
locally. Veritas support however is telling us that we need to have
Media Manager loaded on the client machines apart from tyhe media
manager that we have on our current master/media server. Is this a true
statement?  The last time I  used NBU (3.5), I never had to install
anything on the client side to back it up SSO-way -- All I had to do was
to install the SSO Keys on my Master/Media server and add the client as
a drive host (of course knowing what the drive devices on the client
are)..  Otehr VEritas techies are also mentioning --- we need a SAN
Media Manager license to enable SSO.. I am confused...

Any inputs?  Am I not correct in my assumption that SSO requires only
one Normal Media Manager license and just the Shared Drives key
installed with no additional software on the clients that will become
SSO clients?

Thanks!