Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas vs Networker

2004-06-18 09:48:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas vs Networker
From: rahulparasnis AT msn DOT com (Rahul Parasnis)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:48:17 +0900
Hello Veritas Gurus ,

First of all I apologize because I am sure this quiestion has been asked
before . I am sure there are some on this list who have used Legato before .
  I am new to this list .

We are in a process of choosing  backup  software , Veritas netbackup /
Networker .
( We are using Backup Exec and Legato , we were two companies we had a
merger and now we want to select one central backup platform .)
I am using legato for that matter and I am very happy about it . But I would
like to hear from this particular mailing list about this comparison .

Certainly options for are Netbackup or Legato ( not backup exec because we
have unix ( HP/ Sun ) boxes )

As far Cost is concern , Veritas is willing sacrifice backup exec license
cost and will charge us discounted price for license we have for Legato .

I have read messages from  Len Boyle  Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com Fri, 24 Jan 2003
Deb  deb AT tickleme.llnl DOT gov Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:48:02 -0800

After reading on mailing list archive , the mention thread certainly gives
nice points to some extent they are still true .

But I would like to hear from you again about this comparison since a year
and half has passed , new versions of both softwares have had changes . EMC
has taken over Legato .

I do not want to fire up this list again .

It appears to me that Veritas has more share in the market than networker .
I would like to the comparison based on following points .

1. Speed of backup ,
2. faster recovery .
3. Ease in administration .  ( Ability to restore from one client to another
from single screen )
4. Tracking versions .  ( Legato had issues on this )
5. backward version compatibility . ( Veritas had issues on this )
6. Modules limitations like ( With Exchange5.5  module for legato was not
able to retrieve single Email )
7. DRC solution  ( Networker has dependancy on Index server so as Catalogue
server correct me if I am wrong )
8. SAN / NAS support .
9. Technical Support
10 Cost comparison
Most well adopted platform for running master server / Networker Server .

Suggestions / comments / tips / jokes :)

best regards,
- Rahul Parasnis