Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] automate NBU to run a program

2004-06-15 11:03:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] automate NBU to run a program
From: pcd AT xinupro DOT com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:03:41 -0400
Dan Logcher wrote:

> SC wrote:
>
>> i find that bpend_notify runs everytime it finishes a backup stream.
>> i have 3 in the schedule and my program was executed 3 times.
>>
>> how can i configure it to run only once at the end of the last backup?
>

> I want to do the same thing, so I've decided to write the start and end
> notify to create lockfiles for each stream and remove them on completion.
> At which point the end script can check for any outstanding locks and run
> the all_done script if none exist for the particular backup.
>
> Has anyone tried this already?

Yes,  don't use files as locks since they are not atomic.  You have no
control over which
stream is running when and in what order.  Using "touch" or something else
to create a lock file, both could happen at the same time.  I use
"mkdir" and it's
success status instead.  You still need to take into account cleanup in the
event of a job cancelation.  Veritas has made very little effort to make
this capability easily attainable.

Thanks
Peter