Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Error 52.

2004-05-24 10:06:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Error 52.
From: dlogcher AT MIT DOT EDU (Dan Logcher)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:06:44 -0400
Johan Redelinghuys wrote:

> Hi
> Robot: ADIC Scalar 1000
> Drives: LTO1
> Netbackup: 4.5_MP5
>
> Our client has the following problem:
>
>    1. Netbackup gets a request to mount a tape e.g. 001211
>    2. The robot mounts the tape and then the drive gets and error 6
>       while in the process of managing the tape. Tape is now sitting
>       (stuck) on the drive.
>    3. Netbackup in the mean time waits for the mount and eventually fail
>       with error 52. (Media timeout set to 15 min).
>    4. Other backups for the same media server start to fail and queue
>       with the same error 52, as the other backups on this server
>       request the same tape.

I've recently started noticing this problem as well.  It usually occurs
when a Media Server crashes and is brought back up.  It seems to think
it is the Master server and tries to allocate it's own tapes from ones
used by other media servers.  I wrote a script to run thru the tape list
for each host to determine if there are multiple uses.. then remove the
offending one.

I don't know of a way to force NB to mount the next tape.

--
Dan