Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] OpenVMS client and NBU 4.5 FP6

2004-04-29 17:37:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] OpenVMS client and NBU 4.5 FP6
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:37:28 -0500
On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:00:03PM -0700, Darren Dunham wrote:
> I've got a NBU 4.5 FP6 server (Solaris) with the standard "all
> clients" installation.  I'm getting an old OpenVMS client transferred
> over.  Presumably it has a client on it already from its existing
> invironment, so I shouldn't need to grab a client install just for
> it.

I've been managing VMS systems for over 20 years.  NBU on VMS here under
a year.

> However, when creating a client in the policy, I can't select it as an
> OpenVMS system since there's no OpenVMS client software on the master.
>
> I know almost nothing about VMS.  Do I need to get something on the
> master server to create an OpenVMS "client" and policy, or do I just
> stick it in a "standard" policy (as opposed to a windows-nt one) and
> everything is fine?

Yup.  VMS = Standard.

> I can't find any OpenVMS clients downloadable from support.

Officially you need to order the VMS client CD separately - our sales
rep has been getting them for us at no charge.  Get the CD, and then
immediately get the updates from the offical VMS client site:
ftp://ftp.emea.support.veritas.com/pub/support/Products/NetBackup_OpenVMS/

There's a PDF there that is definitely worthwhile reading.  You should
read it first.

Unofficially, you can put the pieces together from the patch kits, but
it does help to get the original CD first if you're not familiar with
VMS.  Since you've got NetBackup already on the server, you've got the
pieces that aren't in the patch kits (the DCL scripts and the message
files).

We ran the VMS 4.5 client with a 3.4 server, upgraded the servers to
4.5, then 5.0 and it's still working fine.  I am up to date on my client
though.

Veritas has done a *really* nice job on the VMS client.  I never thought
I'd switch from VMS backup format but NetBackup puts native VMSBACKUP
and Tapesys (which uses VMSBACKUP underneath) to shame.

The 5.0 release of the VMS client is not yet available.  Your best
client release at the moment is 4.5MP6.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA