Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] howto exclude one instance of weekly backups

2004-04-22 18:04:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] howto exclude one instance of weekly backups
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:04:09 -0500
--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

* Rob De Langhe <rob.delanghe AT telindus DOT be> [2004-04-21 07:46]:
> Hi,
> =20
> anyone has suggestions on best practice to exclude the run of a specific
> instance of weekly backups ?
> =20
> We have full backups going on, on a weekly basis running on Sundays.
> =20
> At the same time, we have archiving backups of the same files going on, o=
n a
> 4-weekly basis also running on Sundays.
> =20
> So we want to avoid that, scheduled by Veritas, every 4th week there would
> be 2 sets of backups running : the weekly full, plus the 4-weekly archivi=
ng.
> =20
> How to achieve this ?
> =20
> Any suggestions are kindly appreciated !

If you set these up as two different schedules, this is pretty easy. Set
up the normal weekly schedule, and then set up a 4week schedule that is
set to run at the same time. The trick is NetBackup will look at the
4week schedule as being less frequent than the weekly schedule.
NetBackup gives a higher priority to the schedule with the lowest
frequency and does not run both. So do something like this:

weekly - Full - Sunday - 23:00 - Frequency 1 day
4week  - Full - Sunday - 23:00 - Frequency 26 days

(The 26 days should make it ready to run every 4th Sunday)

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5