Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Questions to ask a Netbackup Admin on an interview *interesting*

2004-03-26 12:56:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Questions to ask a Netbackup Admin on an interview *interesting*
From: Josh.Goldfarb AT blackrock DOT com (Goldfarb, Josh)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:56:33 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4135B.ACB6988A

Please tell me if you think these questions are suitable and if you have
any additions, please let me know.

Basic:
Why is the catalog the most important component of Netbackup?
What does status 59 mean in the activity monitor?
If you have an exchange database backup with a status 1 in the activity
monitor what would you do?
On a windows box if you encountered a status 11, what is the problem?
Why is a binary catalog more efficient than an ASCII catalog?
--------
Intermediate:
What is BPRD?
If you have a SCSI attached robot and in device monitor you see the
drives marked as AVR, what does that mean and how would you fix it?
If I asked you to tell me if a client has Netbackup on it just by using
a telnet command what would you do?
If you wanted to know what IP address netbackup was using to perform
backups what command would you run and where would you run it?
If an exchange server has four storage groups, how would you set it up
so that all four databases get sent to a different tape drive at the
same time?
If you have an Exchange database on box ab1 and you want to set NBU to
backup both the database and "C:\, F:\, System_state" how would you set
up the policy and or polcies to do this while using the same volume
pool?
If a media ID A04567 comes back and it is frozen, what are the steps to
unfreeze it and move it back to scratch from the command line?
----------
Expert:
If you wanted to bypass netbackup commands and move a tape from slot 1
to drive 3 how would you do that?
What does this command do? Vmcheckxxx -rt tld -rn 0 brnyc-eb01 -vmhost
brnyc-eb01 -list?
If your last catalog backup was two days ago and the master server
crashed what would you have to do to bring your environment back up to
present time?
How do you find a disk based image via the command line and then delete
it?
>From the expert himself - Dave Chapa
-----------------------------
How do you import an NBU image that has been written to a disk storage
unit?
What are the critical catalogs or databases on a Media Server?
How would you tune NetBackup to increase backup performance?

Josh Goldfarb
BlackRock Financial Management Inc.
BlackRock Solutions - Technology USA
40 East 52nd Street
NY, NY 10022
Phone: 212.409.3702

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4135B.ACB6988A

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
6.0.6487.1">
<TITLE>Questions to ask a Netbackup Admin on an interview =
*interesting*</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><B><I><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Please tell me if you think these =
questions are suitable and if you have any additions, please let me =
know.</FONT></I></B><I></I>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Basic:</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Why is the catalog the most important =
component of Netbackup?</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">What does status 59 mean in the =
activity monitor?</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If you have an exchange database =
backup with a status 1 in the activity monitor what would you do?</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">On a windows box if you encountered a =
status 11, what is the problem?</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Why is a binary catalog more =
efficient than an ASCII catalog?</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">--------</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Intermediate:</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">What is BPRD?</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If you have a SCSI attached robot and =
in device monitor you see the drives marked as AVR, what does that mean =
and how would you fix it?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If I asked you to tell me if a client =
has Netbackup on it just by using a telnet command what would you =
do?</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If you wanted to know what IP address =
netbackup was using to perform backups what command would you run and =
where would you run it?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If an exchange server has four storage =
groups, how would you set it up so that all four databases get sent to a =
different tape drive at the same time?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If you have an Exchange database on =
box ab1 and you want to set NBU to backup both the database and =
&quot;C:\, F:\, System_state&quot; how would you set up the policy and =
or polcies to do this while using the same volume pool?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If a media ID A04567 comes back and it =
is frozen, what are the steps to unfreeze it and move it back to scratch =
from the command line?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">----------</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Expert:</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If you wanted to bypass netbackup =
commands and move a tape from slot 1 to drive 3 how would you do =
that?</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">What does this command do? Vmcheckxxx =
-rt tld -rn 0 brnyc-eb01 -vmhost brnyc-eb01 -list?</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If your last catalog backup was two =
days ago and the master server crashed what would you have to do to =
bring your environment back up to present time?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">How do you find a disk based image via =
the command line and then delete it?</FONT>

<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000" FACE=3D"Times New Roman">From the expert =
himself - Dave Chapa</FONT>

<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000" FACE=3D"Times New =
Roman">-----------------------------</FONT>

<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">How do you import an =
NBU image that has been written to a disk storage unit?</FONT>

<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">What are the =
critical catalogs or databases on a Media Server?</FONT>

<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">How would you tune =
NetBackup to increase backup performance?</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><I><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Josh Goldfarb</FONT></I>

<BR><I><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Times New Roman">BlackRock Financial =
Management Inc.</FONT></I>

<BR><I><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Times New Roman">BlackRock Solutions - =
Technology USA</FONT></I>

<BR><I><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Times New Roman">40 East 52nd =
Street</FONT></I>

<BR><I><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Times New Roman">NY, NY 10022</FONT></I>

<BR><I><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Phone: =
212.409.3702</FONT></I>
</P>
<BR>

</BODY>