Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog sizes

2004-03-23 15:22:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog sizes
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:22:21 -0600
On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 02:04:47PM -0600, Dan Otto wrote:
> For those with ever growing catalogs, in the release of 4.5 FP3 and up,
> there a new feature called catalog archiving. It allows you to send the
> really large .f files off disk and puts them on a tape. It works really
> well for catalogs with retention periods of infinity.

That's nice, but it doesn't do much for those of us with large catalogs
and short retentions.  I've got 20GB catalogs for backups that only have
a 3-month retention.  Archiving the catalog won't help me much and make
it more difficult to restore the data since I have to restore the
catalog first.

What other options do I have?

        .../Ed

--