Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog sizes]

2004-03-23 14:27:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog sizes]
From: wtsmith AT MAINE DOT EDU (W. T. Smith)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:27:08 -0500
> Jennifer Green wrote, in part: I am trying to correctly size catalog
> space and was wondering what all of you are seeing with your catalog
> sizes.  Generally it would be 2-4% of total data being backed up =
> 1Tb data = 20-40G catalog...is this what you are seeing?

I don't know of any good formula because it varies so much with your
policies and data.  For example, my typical policies cause about 7 times
the client data to be stored in my backup system at any steady state
point in time.  Your policies will vary.

Also, the size of the catalog depends very much on the number of objects
being backed up.  My large-file data base systems utilize little catalog
space, but my very high file-count mail servers use much of the utilized
catalog space.

For what it's worth, my NetBackup catalog is currently about 25 GB, with
about 25 TB on tape (NetBackup 4.5).

cheers, wayne