Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to have long retention periods and use minimal tapes

2004-03-23 12:12:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to have long retention periods and use minimal tapes
From: david.shapiro AT itcdeltacom DOT com (Shapiro, David)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:12:21 -0500

------_=_NextPart_000_01C410FA.00D453C0

------_=_NextPart_001_01C410FA.00D453C0

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on retention periods and policies.  I use
Netbackup 4.5 datacenter on solaris.  I have a directory that has about 20
GB of files going into it each month that they want to have a retention of 3
years.
I would like to remove the files from disk after they go to tape to clear up
space on the filesystem.

How do you set up a policy to back these files up and optimize the number of
tapes you use?  I have a 84 slot/2xlto2 tape library.  I would like to hear
some of the ways you have set up long retention for a directory receiving
files daily.

This electronic message transmission contains information from the office of
David Shapiro, ITC^DeltaCom, Inc., which may be confidential or privileged.
The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information
is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error,
please notify us by telephone 1-919-865-6955or by electronic mail
david.shapiro AT bti DOT com <mailto:david.shapiro AT bti DOT com>  immediately.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C410FA.00D453C0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=792415616-23032004><FONT face=Arial
size=2>Hello,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=792415616-23032004><FONT face=Arial
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=792415616-23032004><FONT face=Arial size=2>I am looking for
some advice on retention periods and policies.&nbsp; I use Netbackup 4.5
datacenter on solaris.&nbsp; I have a directory that has about 20 GB of files
going into it&nbsp;each month that they want to have a&nbsp;retention of 3
years.&nbsp;
<DIV><SPAN class=792415616-23032004><FONT face=Arial size=2>I would like to
remove the files from disk after they go to tape to clear up space on the
filesystem.&nbsp; </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=792415616-23032004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=792415616-23032004></SPAN>How do you set up a policy to back
these files up and optimize the number of tapes you use?&nbsp; I have a 84
slot/2xlto2 tape library.&nbsp; I would like to hear some of the ways you have
set up long retention for a directory receiving files
daily.&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=792415616-23032004><FONT face=Arial
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>
<P>This electronic message transmission contains information from the office of
David Shapiro, ITC^DeltaCom, Inc., which may be confidential or privileged. The
information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.
If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us by
telephone 1-919-865-6955or by electronic mail <A
href="mailto:david.shapiro AT bti DOT com">david.shapiro AT bti DOT com</A>
immediately.</P></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C410FA.00D453C0--

------_=_NextPart_000_01C410FA.00D453C0
        filename="Shapiro, David.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Shapiro;David.Edward
FN:Shapiro, David
TITLE:Network Engineer
ADR;WORK:;Corporate
LABEL;WORK:Corporate
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:david.shapiro AT bti DOT com
REV:20031014T193824Z
END:VCARD

------_=_NextPart_000_01C410FA.00D453C0--