Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Removable Storage Management: unable to export database

2004-03-18 07:57:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Removable Storage Management: unable to export database
From: ToelkenW AT aetna DOT com (Toelken, William)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:57:26 -0500
Heine,
I know there are several technotes on Veritas' support site that state
this problem and the proper method of disableing it on W2K media
servers. I have not gotten to W2K3 testing yet so I can't comment on how
it acts with a "client". I did come across this article on HP's website
and also have gotten some info from Microsoft. Hope this helps.

http://www3.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?dt=3&s
ource=OT040301_CW01.xml

>From Microsoft:

The polling is done by tape driver. This is to help RSM identify media
changes, So I am not sure how disabling RSM stops the polling (unless
RSM disables polling temporarily, but fails to reenable it).

 The actual 1-second-interval Test Unit Ready (TUR) is sent down by
classpnp.
A user mode app can turn this OFF by sending down the
IOCTL_STORAGE_MCN_CONTROL IOCTL to turn this off.
The customer can write a custom utility to turn this off if they don't
want to add the registry entries, the utility would then need to be
executed after every reboot, possibly by a start-up script.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/storage
/hh/storage/k307_6302.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devio/b
ase/ioctl_storage_mcn_control.asp

To permanently disable the tape drivers from polling the bus they can
add a registry entry :

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\qic157","AutoRunAlwaysDisable",
0x00010008, "VEN_ID PROD_ID"

where VEN_ID is vendor id (and should be 8 chars long. If it is lesser
than 8 chars add trailing spaces", and PROD_ID is Product ID and 16
chars long (with trailing spaces).
Example:
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\qic157","AutoRunAlwaysDisable",
0x00010008, "WXYZ    QIC157          "