Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] media server name change

2004-03-17 10:29:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] media server name change
From: William.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:29:12 -0500
Casey Feskens wrote of Ed Toner's post about Tech Note 230047:

> This is very helpful, though I'm not actually moving the software,
> just changing the name of the host that it's on.  Do I still need to
> go through the whole process of removing the robots, reinstalling the
> software, etc?  Or should I be able to move the media, change the
> name, then tell the master to look for a new media server at the
> new name?

   I *think* that the spirit of the suggestion was to migrate everything
off the current Media Server, then change its name, then add it into NBU
and migrate everything _back_ to it.
   I tried to move a robot to a new Media Server (reusing the hostname)
once without first removing it from NBU, and there was a good deal of
weeping.
   However, I have switched my Master Server to new hardware _and_ a new
hostname at the same time. I did so with my eyes screwed shut and my
teeth clenched -- but it Just Worked. I have also added and dropped and
changed Media Servers, and each time I call Veritas Support. Once
they're done telling you that you shouldn't do this without a platoon of
Veritas Delta Force Field Support ninjas on site, they'll typically tell
you how to do it.
   Mind you, if it craters, you didn't hear that from me. :7)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator