Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 5, Volume Manager 4 / IDR issue

2004-03-13 18:55:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 5, Volume Manager 4 / IDR issue
From: glavrov AT mail DOT com (George Lavrov)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:55:29 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C40956.9B9BE810

During our testing of NetBackup 5 IDR functionality with Windows 2003
and Veritas Foundation Suite 4 for Windows ( Volume Manager 4) we
discovered that during Windows 2003 ASR recovery process we required to
have Veritas Foundation Suite 4 for Windows actual media (CD).
Basically, AFTER IDR will re-format your C: partition and prepare to
start windows 2003 ASR recovery process you will be prompted for CD
labeled "SFW40-CD1". This step is NOT documented under NetBackup / IDR
admin guide or NetBackup release notes. However it is mentioned under
Veritas Foundation Suite 4 Administrative guide for Windows,

Chapter 9, Support for Windows Server 2003 Features p221:

"This section presents the high-level steps for the ASR recovery
process....During the text-only mode, you will be prompted to insert the
Storage Foundation for Windows CD, as well as the CDs from your backup
and
recovery application and any other third-party applications that
participate
in the ASR recovery process..."

That is all fine, if you do have the media available, which is not in
our case. Our client's media is still on order with Veritas and for the
install purposes we used self-extracting archive file SFW40_264293.exe
available from:

However, extracting the contexts of that file and burning them on CD
with label SFW40-CD1 does not help for IDR recovery. ASR recovery
process did not recognized the created CD as a valid media. So either
the original media has additional files not included in the downloadable
archive file or the extracted directory structure is some how different.
At this point my customer feels good that we were able to discover the
issue before he went live with his what's suppose to be a critical
consolidated file server.=20

However the situation itself, when NetBackup/IDR documentation fails to
mentioned ALL requirements for the DR process and the fact that the
available media for download will not be sufficient to complete the DR
process as advertised, in my opinion is a problem.=20

BTW calling technical support in my case did not resolve the problem.
Even so my client has purchased a full support for both products,
Veritas technician from Australian call center stated that they don't
have access to the actual original media and end up emailing to me the
same file (SFW40_264293.zip - 88MB!) as on Veritas web site only in zip
format, the same file which did not work and AFTER he was told in about
four different emails that it does not work! =20

If there is anyone out there who has experienced the issue I am
describing and know about any workaround to create a recognizable
SFW40-CD1 for IDR recovery process from downloadable file, please let me
know, because our time on this engagement is running out and we don't
know when actual media will arrive.

Regards,

George Lavrov
glavrov AT mail DOT com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C40956.9B9BE810

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.5.6944.0">
<TITLE>NetBackup 5, Volume Manager 4 / IDR issue</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">During our testing of NetBackup 5 IDR =
functionality with Windows 2003 and Veritas Foundation Suite 4 for =
Windows ( Volume Manager 4) we&nbsp; discovered that during Windows 2003 =
ASR recovery process we required to have Veritas Foundation Suite 4 for =
Windows actual media (CD). Basically, AFTER IDR will re-format your C: =
partition and prepare to start windows 2003 ASR recovery process you =
will be prompted for CD labeled &quot;SFW40-CD1&quot;. This step is NOT =
documented under NetBackup / IDR admin guide or NetBackup release notes. =
However it is mentioned under Veritas Foundation Suite 4 Administrative =
guide for Windows,</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Chapter 9, Support for Windows Server =
2003 Features p221:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;This section presents the =
high-level steps for the ASR recovery</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">process....During the text-only mode, =
you will be prompted to insert the</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Storage Foundation for Windows CD, as =
well as the CDs from your backup and</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">recovery application and any other =
third-party applications that participate</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">in the ASR recovery =
process...&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">That is all fine, if you do have the =
media available, which is not in our case. Our client's media is still =
on order with Veritas and for the install purposes we used =
self-extracting archive file SFW40_264293.exe available from:</FONT></P>

<P><A HREF=3D"http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264293.htm";><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Courier =
New">http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264293.htm</FONT></U></A>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">However, extracting the contexts of =
that file and burning them on CD with label SFW40-CD1 does not help for =
IDR recovery. ASR recovery process did not recognized the created CD as =
a valid media. So either the original media has additional files not =
included in the downloadable archive file or the extracted directory =
structure is some how different. At this point my customer feels good =
that we were able to discover the issue before he went live with his =
what's suppose to be a critical consolidated file server. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">However the situation itself, when =
NetBackup/IDR documentation fails to mentioned ALL requirements for the =
DR process and the fact that the available media for download will not =
be sufficient to complete the DR process as advertised, in my opinion is =
a problem. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">BTW calling technical support in my =
case did not resolve the problem. Even so my client has purchased a full =
support for both products, Veritas technician from Australian call =
center stated that they don't have access to the actual original media =
and end up emailing to me the same file (SFW40_264293.zip - 88MB!) as on =
Veritas web site only in zip format, the same file which did not work =
and AFTER he was told in about four different emails that it does not =
work!&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">If there is anyone out there who has =
experienced the issue I am describing and know about any workaround to =
create a recognizable SFW40-CD1 for IDR recovery process from =
downloadable file, please let me know, because our time on this =
engagement is running out and we don't know when actual media will =
arrive.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Regards,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">George Lavrov</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">glavrov AT mail DOT com</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C40956.9B9BE810--