Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Difference between Maintenance and Feature Pack

2004-03-11 13:17:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Difference between Maintenance and Feature Pack
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:17:56 -0600
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 07:17:47PM -0500, Len Boyle wrote:
> I believe that you will find that the price is the same for mp's and
> fp's. The difference is that mp's are made up of fixes only and fp's
> include the fixes and new function. This is mostly for people that
> want to put fixes on but are afraid that code with new function will
> break their existing backup systems.
>
> You can always switch from the mp track to the fp track.

But you can not switch from the fp track to the mp track.

There are some things you can't do without a feature pack.  For example,
if you're still on 4.5, you can't back up an Exchange 2003 server
without going to a feature pack (3 I think, but we're at fp6).

I've heard that with 5.0, Veritas will no longer have a difference
between feature and maintenance packs - the updates will always be
feature packs.  As long as they don't break existing functionality by
adding a new feature, I personally don't care that new features are
there and may even find them useful.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA