Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] User Directed Backup and Oracle

2004-03-03 08:22:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] User Directed Backup and Oracle
From: paul.esson AT redstor DOT com (Paul Esson)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:22:59 -0000
Folks,

I am trying to establish policies and schedules to enable me to backup Oracle
databases in the following manner and wanted to know if this is a sensible
approach. Any constructive comments would be much appreciated.  Unfortunatley,
my scripting skills are failrly basic.

NetBackup Version 4.5 FP6
Master Server Windows 2000
Oracle clients Solaris 2.6 and 8

We do not want to use RMAN and the NetBackup Oracle Extension because we want
to keep the costs down and simplify the restore process to recovering flat
files.  The DBA has scripted routines to backup the databases to flat files and
place those files in a specific directory and I was thinking I could set-up
automated schedules for fulls and incrementals that would control the backup
frequency and corresponding user backup schedules that would backup the flat
files.  The user backup schedule would run a script via its file list that is a
wrapper for the DBA's script that calls the bpbackup command afterwards to
backup the flat files to NetBackup.

Can I do this with a standard policy type?  I have see something similar for an
Oracle policy type where a wrapper script calls RMAN.  Does anyone have
anything similar they could share with me?

I have an additional issue where a database resident on a UNIX client needs to
be backed up in unison with a filestore on a Windows 2000 client.  Is there any
way I can relate the two activities and control them through NetBackup?  The
logic would have to be something like:

*       Shutdown UNIX databases
*       Run DBA script to backup UNIX databases
*       Run NetBackup backup of  UNIX database backup flat files
*       Run NetBackup backup of Windows filestore [ideally if this could be run
in parallel with above after database shutdown]
*       Start UNIX database

I need to keep the database down while the filestore is backed up for
consistency.  I may even need to stop a service on the Windows 2000 system
before commencing the filestore backup.  AM I chasing shadows here?

Regards,

Paul Esson