Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup Images question

2004-02-24 10:16:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Images question
From: tlewick AT hrblock DOT com (Lewick, Taylor)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:16:04 -0600
I would like to describe a scenario we are seeing a lot of...  Wea re
running Netbackup 4.5 FP 5 on HP-UX 11.x

On our offsite reports, we will see a tape listed with their assigned
times and expired times.
Most are correct and show a typical 4 week retention.  i.e., today's
offsite for instance show:

Assigned   Expiration
2/22/04    3/22/04
2/23/04    3/23/04
1/26/04    3/23/04

But we also have one tape that shows an assigned date of 1/26/04 and an
expiration date of 3/23/04.
I found out that that tape actually was assigned on 1/26, was sent
offsite, and its original
images expired at different times yesterday, 2/23/04.

Per our offsite rotation, It was requested back and put into the library
yesterday, 2/23/04. It was used at 02:45 in the morning on the 24th
(today), but when I do a bpmedialist -mcontents, I can still see the
images that should have expired yesterday.  My question is, when does
NetBackup expire these images?  And why is it still keeping the assigned
time from 1/26/04 and not resetting that to 2/24/04?

I don't think these are causing errors, but they are just making me
curious as to how NetBackup
is managing the images...  I would think it would expire those older
images fairly quickly (or immediately),
or is that a housekeeping type of process that only runs at certain
intervals?  What could explain the scenario I described above?

Thank you,
Taylor