Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Performance: Single server, multiple jukeboxes?

2004-02-12 12:15:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Performance: Single server, multiple jukeboxes?
From: nantel AT ecopiabio DOT com (Mathieu Nantel)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:15:05 -0500
Umm... so the actual throughput of both units would be somewhere between 32-64
for the Overland and 72-144 for the M1500. Certainly I'm not having any
problems feeding my 2 SDLT320s. I'm very uncertain as to the SDLT600s.

Regardless, I wouldn't buy SDLT600 solely for it's speed. We're far ahead of
time compared to hard disk technology here. You would need a very high end
SAN to feed 2 tape drives totaling 120MB/s. Since you're going to backup over
gigether, don't expect wire speed to go much farther than 50-70MB/s. The real
advantage of SDLT600 over 320 in this case is the space.

What are the technical specs of whatever you will be backing up?

On a side note, I hope you will be more lucky than me with your SDLTs. I've
had to open them up twice to put back together some kind of drive belt that
draws the tape from the cartridge into the reel and that has got out of the
"guides" (Quantum people shouldn't be reading this...).

Cheers!

On Thursday February 12 2004 11:59, Adam Porter wrote:
> Mathieu-
>
> Sorry, my mistake for not giving more details!  Two of the jukeboxes we
> are looking at so far are Overland's Neo 2000 (2 x SDLT 320) which
> claims ~32MB/sec native and the Quantum M1500SX (2 x SDLT 600) which
> claims 72MB/sec native.  (Success/disaster stories welcome.) Either of
> these would have 2 drives, so I wasn't counting on compression.  (I
> should have said "32-72MB/sec", not "64-72MB/sec".)
>
> -Adam
>
> Mathieu Nantel wrote:
> > Indeed this is quite efficient for DLT7000. My guess is that you probably
> > will have a harder time reaching 2:1 compression (32MB/s) with SDLT
> > unless your data can be heavily compressed (read: huge text files).

Mathieu Nantel - RHCE,CCNA                       Ecopia BioSciences
Systems Manager                                 (514) 336-2724 x434
nantel AT ecopiabio DOT com
[*] Please avoid sending me Word/Excel/PowerPoint attachments.
 `----> See: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html