Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Staging backups to disk for Oracle on NBU 3.4, S olaris 8

2004-02-10 14:47:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Staging backups to disk for Oracle on NBU 3.4, S olaris 8
From: William.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:47:12 -0500
Mike Elwood wrote:

> However, I have not spotted in the docs how one would go about this.

   The short version is that you set up a Storage Unit on a big chuck of disk
space, and run your backups there. Later on, you _duplicate_ those images onto
a tape Storage Unit. You can then expire the images on the disks, or keep them
around for a while in order to restore faster.

> [I'm afraid I don't seem to have previously spotted the
> script referred to below]

   It was in an email to the list from Mark Donaldson last September. I can
email it to you offlist if you like.

> From the clues below, it sounds like you need to define the disk area
> as a storage unit, but I don't know how to go about that.

   Easy: when you create the STU, it's not a Media Manager STU, but a Disk STU.
<HomerSimpson>Mmmmm, disk stew.</HomerSimpson>

> A follow-up question: if using bpduplicate to get the disk image to
> tape, does this mean you are restricted (in 3.4 anyway) to a single
> tape copy?

   No idea. Is this a problem? :7)
-wde
--