Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data duplicating questions

2004-02-10 12:50:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data duplicating questions
From: Wayne.Cierkowski AT harpercollins DOT com (Cierkowski, Wayne)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:50:20 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EFFE.5A1D51DE

You specified you are doing cumulative differential backups. Did you
mean Cumulative Incremental Backup? The Cumulative will backup all files
that have changed since the last full backup. As the week goes on you
incremental should be getting larger. This is good, considering for
recovery you only need one full image and the last incremental backup.
But on the other hand each day processing time can get longer depending
on the additional amount of data that needs to be backed up and
duplicated.  =20

=20

I do Differential Incremental backups during the week. This will only
backup data that has been changed since the last backup, Incremental or
Full. Less time to backup and duplicate. Down fall, for recovery you
need the last full and all incremental tapes after the full. It's a toss
up...=20

=20

Yes do set the -mpx parm on your duplication process. It will save you
loads of time.=20

=20

I once had Vault running here but until I found it was not duplicating
all of my images we threw it out. I them developed my own duplication
programs using the base set of CLI program of NetBackup.  =20

=20

Wayne=20

=20

This message is intended only for the use of the individuals to which it is=
 addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.=
 If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you ha=
ve received this transmission in error; any review, dissemination, distribu=
tion or copying of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received th=
is communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and=

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EFFE.5A1D51DE

<head>

<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {color:purple;
        text-decoration:underline;}
        {margin-right:0in;
        margin-left:0in;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman";}
span.EmailStyle17
        {font-family:Arial;
        color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
        {page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

0.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>You specified you are doing cumulative differential back=
ups.
Did you mean Cumulative Incremental Backup? The Cumulative will backup all
files that have changed since the last full backup. As the week goes on you
incremental should be getting larger. This is good, considering for recovery
you only need one full image and the last incremental backup. But on the ot=
her
hand each day processing time can get longer depending on the additional am=
ount
of data that needs to be backed up and duplicated. &nbsp;&nbsp;</span></fon=
t></p>

0.0pt;

0.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I do Differential Incremental backups during the week. T=
his will
only backup data that has been changed since the last backup, Incremental or
Full. Less time to backup and duplicate. Down fall, for recovery you need t=
he
last full and all incremental tapes after the full. It&#8217;s a toss up&#8=
230;

0.0pt;

0.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Yes do set the &#8211;mpx parm on your duplication proce=
ss.

0.0pt;

0.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I once had Vault running here but until I found it was n=
ot
duplicating all of my images we threw it out. I them developed my own
duplication programs using the base set of CLI program of NetBackup. &nbsp;=

0.0pt;

'font-size:

'font-size:

<FONT SIZE=3D3><BR>
<BR>
This message is intended only for the use of the individuals to which it is=
 addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.=
 If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you ha=
ve received this transmission in error; any review, dissemination, distribu=
tion or copying of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received th=
is communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and=
<BR>
</FONT>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EFFE.5A1D51DE--