Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data duplicating questions

2004-02-10 12:13:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data duplicating questions
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:13:46 -0700
Demultiplexing is costly in terms of time.  If you're duplicating the entire
contents of the tape, you might see if adding the -mpx flag to your
bpduplicate command will reduce the dup time.

I have a multiplexed policy for clients that I don't duplicate and a
demultiplexed policy that is for the clients I dup.  It cut my duplication
time from days to hours to make this change.

I dont' think vault will speed things for you, I think it's just wrapping
around the standard duplication stuff.

One big consideration is moving up to v5.0 of NB.  It supports in-line tape
copy.  This will let you make two copies of your backup at the same time
(with individual retention periods and pools).  No more duplication after
the fact.  It's much more efficient as the original doesn't have to be
mounted to be read to create the new duplicate.

This ability is only in the vault add-on for v4.5.

-M