Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Scheduling?

2004-02-05 12:00:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Scheduling?
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:00:26 -0600
--=_alternative 005D9D6B86256E31_=

I see the logic, but this is not what I've experienced.

I've done this with a window for each schedule, each evening, one after
another (similar to the Fri night and sat night example), and with one
window for each schedule that spans from Fri night all the way until early
Mon morning (with 3 and 24 days for frequencies).  Either way, works the
same way... a normal rotation of fulls and incrementals, with monthly
fulls REPLACING weekly fulls whenever needed.

It appears the scheduler is smart enough to deal with this.

The only issue I can foresee is if you didn't have the windows open at the
same time and had the shorter frequency open before the longer, this would
cause the weekly to run on a night when the monthly would be due but can't
run yet because the window is not open.  If the weekly finished while the
window for the monthly was still open, the monthly would start and give
you the two full backups, one after the other.  If the window for the
monthly closed before the weekly finished, you'd miss your monthly backup.
 That's why I pointed out to use the "same time window" for the weekly and
the monthly.

- Scott

Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
02/04/2004 01:56 PM