Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux SAN Media Server Question

2004-02-04 15:48:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux SAN Media Server Question
From: jking AT hnl.bcm.tmc DOT edu (Justin King)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:48:47 -0600
I'm hoping to find some answers to a couple problems I'm having.  Let me
give you a brief description of my configuration:

Dell PV136T with 3 HP Ultrium LTO drives
Connected over 2Gb Fibre-Channel network
QLogic HBA's (fiber)
Red Hat Linux v7.3 (stock kernel)
Windows 2000 SP4
NetBackup 4.5 MP6 (for all Win2K systems)
NetBackup 4.5 FP6 (for all Linux systems)
All systems are Dell PowerEdge 2650 (2x2.2GHz, 2GB RAM or better)

1 Master server is W2K
2 SAN Media servers are W2K
1 SAN Media server is Linux
~20 additional clients (Ethernet backups) either W2K or Linux

Here are the problems:

1. When I run a "Media Lists" report, I get messages stating the master
server cannot obtain a report from the linux SAN media server because
access to the client was not allowed.  The linux media server is
correctly backing up over the SAN.  Any ideas?

2. Backups over the SAN are slow (the utilization on this SAN is very
low, roughly 1-2%).  I'd originally had the linux media server setup as
a client. Over 1Gb Ethernet fiber, I was backing up at around 12MB/s,
when I moved it to a media server, it dropped to around 6.8MB/s over the
SAN.  The absolute fastest backup I've ever gotten over the SAN runs
around 15MB/s.  This (to me) doesn't seem anywhere near peak
performance.  Anyone have any experience with a similar setup (or
pointer for performance tuning)?  Ideally, I'd love some kind of
performance benchmarks I might be able to compare against.

It seems I'm a little confused as to what the bp.conf file needs to have
in it for a media server under linux.  Any and all help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks for reading this far.

Justin King