Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle alternate client restore: using master as restore server

2004-01-29 12:02:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle alternate client restore: using master as restore server
From: Robert_Thelen AT bankone DOT com (Robert_Thelen AT bankone DOT com)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:02:09 -0600
Richard -

We have done exactly what you are trying to do many, many, many times.  We have
practiced this in-house as a method of re-populating development and QA
databases, as well as rehosting databases to new servers.  We have also
practiced this during Disaster Recovery exercises on dozens of databases
simultaneously using media servers that the production environment never knew
existed.

Each time that we have done it we have performed the exact same steps, and each
time we received exactly the results that we had intended.

First, in order to mount the tapes of the local server instead of the original
media server, we needed to add the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER line to the
bp.conf.

Second, the bp.conf of the receiving client must have a SERVER entry for the
media server (obvious, I know).  Also, the CLIENT_NAME entry must be the
Original database client name, not the Destination client name.

Third, perform the restore from RMAN.

I can only guess as to what problems you have in the past with
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER and the gui for filesystem restores.  However, the
restores should be very straight forward.  You need to choose your source
client and your destination client, then the date range and the files you want
to recover.  The fact that the media server is different has no bearing on the
restore, just on where the tapes are mounted.

Rob Thelen
Storage Management
Bank One Card Services.