Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN backups...

2004-01-29 11:02:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN backups...
From: pcd AT xinupro DOT com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:02:42 -0500
Ed is correct in that the EMC BCVs need to be available to the host
for backups.  Although it is not a filesystem issue, it is a volume
management issue if Veritas Volume Manager is what is in use.  Since
it is a block by block copy, that includes the private region which does
cause
confusion.  The simplest thing can generally be importing and mounting
the volumes on a different host.  There are Veritas NetBackup
options (Off Host Backups and  the EMC option for BCVs), but
be careful if going that route under 4.5 with  licensing, you have to
have the
off host option in order for the SYMAPI calls to take place I believe.
Since
most likely the host with the production volumes has control over the BCVs,
the calls to the Symetrix need to come from there.

Thanks
Peter