Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RMAN strategies & questions

2004-01-22 18:22:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RMAN strategies & questions
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:22:36 -0700
Solaris 8 with VxCFS filesystems on a 3-node RAC cluster, only 2 servers are
SSO media servers, though.

Connection from the DB/media servers to tape is 2G Fiber channel through
crossroads bridges to HP Ultrium-1 tape drives.  There's 2, 3, & 3 drives
per FC controller for a total of 8 drives. We originally backed-up the DB to
all 8 drives at once but had to cut it back because the tape-writer
processes (bptm) were too intrusive on an already overloaded system.
(There's a rant about poorly written application code I'll just not start.)

Timeframe isn't as important as completion.  It'd be great if we could pull
the whole thing off in 24 hours, though.  I don't think that's going to
happen on four drives - just not enough native throughput.  There's a lot of
empty space in the DB, though, so I'm not sure what the true data volume is.