Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing tape drive paths

2004-01-21 14:29:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing tape drive paths
From: justin.lloyd AT mci DOT com (Justin C. Lloyd)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:29:22 -0500
I am just now setting up a backup system using NBU 4.5MP6 on
a Sun Enterprise 5500 server running Solaris 9.

Most of the data I will be backing up is typical Unix and
Windows stuff, plus some Oracle databases.  However, on my
SAN I have a 6 TB filesystem that will eventually be about
95% full.  The vast majority of that data will already be
compressed (using a proprietary format), so I would not
want to use the hardware compression device.  But for
everything else (presumably) I would want to use
compression.

The only way I can think to handle this is to use, for example,

    tpconfig -update -drive 0 -path /dev/rmt/0bn

in a notify script (maybe session_start_notify) and then

    tpconfig -update -drive 0 -path /dev/rmt/0cbn

in the corresponding end script (session_notify).  If I were
to do this, I know I would need to make sure that the 6 TB
filesystem is the only one that would run in the session.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of a situation,
or am I just overlooking a better method of handling this?

Thanks,

Justin

--
Justin C. Lloyd