Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup of the Oracle. Is SSO and media manager r equired?

2004-01-20 13:41:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup of the Oracle. Is SSO and media manager r equired?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:41:17 -0700
You can backup Oracle without SSO.  We're doing it.

Caveats,

If you want the server with Oracle to backup directly to tape drives, it
needs to be a media server.

If you want the server with Oracle to backup directly to tape drives that
are shared with another media server then you need SSO.

If you want to backup Oracle to a different media server, then you just need
RMAN (and, I'd suggest, a damn-fast ethernet connection if your DB is large
because you're going to jam your DB over the network).

Required for all RMAN backups is the Oracle Extensions for Netbackup.

-M