Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN backup window increases

2004-01-05 17:50:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN backup window increases
From: mleary AT trusecureonline DOT com (Leary, Mike)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:50:54 -0500
Robert,

Are you using the Oracle Recovery catalog?  There are a number of
performance issues related to the recovery catalog that will slow down your
backups (we had similar issues here) over a period of time depending on how
many datafiles for each backup.  If you have access to Metalink you should
be able to find many examples of which most of them probably will tell you
to migrate your oracle database to 9i (9.2).  Even with the Oracle 9.2
recovery catalog there are performance issues.

Try adding these indexes to the recovery catalog schema:

create index bs_i_1 on bs (db_key, bs_recid, bs_stamp);
create index db_i_2 on bp (db_key, bp_recid, bp_stamp);

Also calculating stats on the recovery catalog schema will help performance
as well. We recalc the stats daily using
dbms_utility.analyze_schema(''RMAN'',''COMPUTE''); (assuming that RMAN is
the recovery catalog owner) and it helps a lot.

Hope that helps!!

Mike Leary
Oracle DBA / Data Architect
Managed Security Services