Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] automatic file list creation

2003-12-17 19:31:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] automatic file list creation
From: jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com (Jon Bousselot)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:31:57 -0800
I'm working to maximize throughput from a Win2K system, which backs up
our two NetApp systems through mapped drives.  When I do this using one
data stream per filer, it takes 66 hours, and the tape shoe-shines quite
a bit.  I have built a file list that breaks some top level directories
into mostly equal "NEW_STREAM" data streams, so they all seem to finish
within an hour of each other.  This keeps the tape drives moving data
nicely.  I have written a Perl for Win32 script that scans the top level
of each of my NetApp servers (through the mapped drive), and outputs a
file format that matches the format used in the configuration on the NB
master server.  This would work well in a static environment, but one of
the NetApps contains user home directories.  This changes sometimes
without my knowing it.

I don't see anything on the Veritas support page regarding the creation
of a dynamic file include list that can contain the declaration of
"NEW_STREAM".  I would like the ability to launch the backup, and have
bpstart_notify dynamically create an agressive file list, and begin the
backup.

Does anyone do this already?

NB 4.5, Solaris 9.  All media servers are sun.  LTO-1 drives.

I immagine it's possible to push the dynamic file list from the client
to the master server, but that would expose the master server, and some
very sensitive config files.

-Jon Bousselot