Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bptm logs

2003-12-17 12:35:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bptm logs
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:35:49 -0600
--2E/hm+v6kSLEYT3h

* Lewick, Taylor <tlewick AT hrblock DOT com> [2003-12-17 10:08]:
> Okay, using 4.5 FP 5 on HP-UX unix hosts.  Everyone try this and let me
> know if it is just a problem with my site. =20
>=20
> Cd to /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bptm.  Vi, or whatever one of the logs.
>=20
> You should search for "read_brm_msg:"  This is when it is getting ready
> to perform a backup.  Just below this, I see some io_init lines, and
> they state:  "io_init: using 65536 data buffer size"  Okay, also look
> for an io_set_recvbuf line that says something like:
>=20
> io_set_recvbuf: setting receive network buffer to 262144 bytes
> io_set_recvbuf: receive network buffer is 65535 bytes
>=20
> Here is my problem.  We set the NET_BUFFER_SZ parameter to be 262144
> bytes.  This is done in a file in /usr/openv/netbackup called
> NET_BUFFER_SZ.  This is done on both the master and the clients, yet it
> looks like NETBACKUP sees this and tries to set it, but the OS reverts
> to using the default of 65535 bytes.
>=20
> My question is, why?  What am I not setting correctly, or what else
> needs to be done to ensure NetBackup can set and use this parameter..?

It looks like you just got done with the 4.5 Advanced class ;-) I saw
the same thing during the class on a Solaris System, but only ONE of the
machines was doing it. You are not going crazy, and the instructor
didn't know what was going on, either. Unfortunately, I still have not
gotten an answer on this and not being much of a Solaris admin yet, I
don't know where in Solaris to look.=20

The only thing I can think of is that there is a kernel parm somewhere
that is limiting it.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com