Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VSP leaving drives behind

2003-12-12 10:40:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VSP leaving drives behind
From: BM128506 AT exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR DOT com (Martin, Barbara)
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:40:35 -0500
We have an open case with Veritas on this very same problem.  We have found
the only way to eliminate these files is to reboot.  We have also been told
FP6 may fix the problem.  (We will not know if this works for sure until we
get binaries installed.)

Veritas blames this problem on other applications, generally anti-virus
software.  Their first suggestion to us was to turn off VSP altogether.
This is no solution for backups then miss open files.  Their next suggestion
was to try turning off the anti-virus software via bpstart_notify and
bpend_notify scripts.  This also did not work for us.

Here is a quote from support on this problem:

"I would like to add that with the cache file not being deleted issue it
is not always an easy fix just to stop the anti-virus services during
the backup.  Most of the time it is an anti-virus application that is
causing the problem but in other cases, it is software such as
DiskXtender from Legato and StorageScope from EMC.  Luckily EMC's new
version resolves this issue, but so far with DiskXtender, we do not have
a work around.  Most customers using DiskXtender cannot shut it down
during the backups."

Barb Martin
Voice:          (937)445-3674
VoicePlus:      622-3674
FAX:            (937)445-3398
mailto:bm128506 AT exchange.DaytonOH.NCR DOT COM