Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT7000 on HPUX11i, NB 4.5 Only Goes Up to 35GB Capacity

2003-12-10 00:00:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT7000 on HPUX11i, NB 4.5 Only Goes Up to 35GB Capacity
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:00:53 -0600
Hello Nelson-

It sounds like you are have enabled the NetBackup policy
"compression" attribute, which is essentially software compression,
i.e. the NetBackup client does a "compress" on every file before that
file gets sent to the media server and written to tape.  This
software compression is a feature that most customers rarely use in
this era of fast networks and efficient compression embedded in
modern tape drives.

With software compression enabled, it it not suprising to hear that
you're filling up your DLT tapes with only 35GB of data.  (by the
time your data reaches the tape drive, it is definitely NOT
compressible)

I'd suggest that you turn off the policy compression attribute and
repeat your testing - I bet you'll see the capacity you expect from
your DLT7000 drives.  (if you only back up text files full of zeroes,
I bet you'll fit a few hundred gigs of data on each tape  ;-))

HTH
rob