Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Over-riding queued jobs

2003-12-08 11:44:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Over-riding queued jobs
From: William.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:44:45 -0500
Good morning from snowy Providence;
   Is there a way to add a new job to the queue that will (temporarily)
displace already-queued jobs?
   For example, I would like to queue up all my development and test servers at
8:00 PM -- but at midnight, I would like my production servers to be the next
systems backed up, regardless of what's already in the queue. Once the
production servers' jobs have run, I'd like the remaining jobs to run.
   Currently, I have the Priority of the production servers's Class set to 100,
with other systems in Classes where the priorities are variously 60 to 90.
However, this doesn't do what I need. Pages 625 ff. of the "System
Administrator's Guide" say that the Worklist will be constructed based on three
criteria, the first of which is "Highest priority backup as determined by the
class Priority attribute."
   I run NBU Data Center 3.4 on Solaris 8: a Master Server (V120), a Media
Server with a Sun L9 library (nine tapes, one DLT8000 drive) on a 420R, and a
Sun L25 (21 tapes and one DLT220 drive) library on a V100. I don't care which
of my tape libraries the jobs run to; I have them each in a separate Storage
Unit and all the classes run to "Any Available" since I don't want a job to
wait for a library.
   Can anyone suggest what I might be missing, or whether I am, in fact, just
simply SOL? :7)
   Thanks to all.
-wde
--